News update:- See our latest Newsletter More updates to follow soon!

Residential Property

The department advises private clients on a wide range of legal issues. In an ever evolving market, we offer well informed advice in all aspects of residential property law.

Recognising that conveyancing transactions can be a stressful time for our clients, we work closely with other professionals and are committed to carrying out the transaction as efficiently as possible where expedition is given if required.

Your Sale
Exchange of Contracts
Your Purchase

Your Sale

Your Solicitor will need to be advised of:–

  1. Where your title deeds are held (i.e. if with your lender their name, address and your account number.)

  2. As to whether you are aware of any structural alterations, additions or extensions that have been made to the property.

  3. Whether there have been any replacement windows, velux installations or replacement external glazed doors together with approximate dates the works were carried out. Under new Building Regulations requirements, any of the aforementioned (if installed after 1st of April 2002) must have been carried out by a registered Member of the Fenestration/Glazing Federation. If the contractor was not registered then separate Building Regulations Consent should have been obtained for these works.

  4. You should not confirm a moving date to your removers until Contracts are exchanged.

back to top

Following Exchange of Contracts

You should arrange for the following:-

  1. Meter readings in respect of electricity and gas on the morning of the day you are vacating the property, giving to the service provider a forwarding address to which your final account can be sent.

  2. Advise the supplier of the telephone line to the property of your impending move and again arrange for any final account to be sent to your new address. Often a buyer will want to take over the existing line.

  3. All rubbish and any items not included in the sale should be removed from the property.

  4. You should arrange direct with the Local Authority to check that all Council Tax liability is paid up to, but not beyond, the completion date. A reimbursement may be due to you

  5. You should arrange to settle any outstanding Water Rate account directly with the Utility at the request that any overpayment beyond the date you are vacating is reimbursed to you

Your Estate Agent will help you deal with any negotiations with the potential buyer throughout the transaction. However, it is prudent to keep your solicitor informed since their assistance will also be necessary.

back to top


When vacating the property:-

The keys should be left with your selling agents who will not release them to your buyer until your solicitor has confirmed that the sale moneys have been received safely into their account.

back to top

Elgee Pinks Solicitors, Wolfelands, High Street, Westerham, Kent, TN16 1RQ tel: 01959 568100 fax: 01959 568110 email: info@elgeepinks.com